Thursday, September 20, 2007

Baking Machine


I have to completely pat myself on the back for this one. I pulled off three baked goods on Sunday (a first for me):

  • whole wheat buttermilk biscuits
  • blueberry muffins
  • pound cake

Now I was so tired from the baking that I didn't make my usual Sunday dinner, but that's okay. I made it Monday and had a couple of friends over.

The biscuits had just an unbelievable flavor. I think I may prefer these to regular biscuits. The only thing I didn't like about them was the shape. The recipe called for the dough to be divided into round balls and placed touching in a pan. I'm a sucker for perfectly round cut biscuits. Anything else looks like a roll. Mine looked exactly like the picture above. They also keep really well.

The blueberry muffins were my response to not having anything sweet in the house. I made them in a muffin top pan and par-baked them. In the mornings, I pop one in the toaster until the top is nice and brown. I spread lemon curd on top and it's the best!

The pound cake was old faithful. My dad gave me this recipe and it is always a hit. Although I never bake one for me (I'm not a big pound cake fan) it's my signature dish. I baked this one for a co-worker who catered lunch for her entire department. I got to sneak in for a plate. I love anyone who will feed me dressing and hers was excellent. My pound cake was a thank-you and it went over well. Although I've only screwed it up once, I'm always nervous about it, so I usually end up slicing it up. This one was A-okay. Everyone enjoyed it.

Do all cooks crave approval? I damn near held my breath as people tried the cake!

No comments: