Sunday, December 25, 2011

Bah. Humbug. Ooo! Tasty!

I've been the unreformed Grinch this year. I just couldn't get into the Christmas spirit. It's the first year I didn't put up a tree.

I planned a haphazard dinner -- I was thinking fried chicken and my favorite roasted butternut squash ravioli. Coconut cupcakes and Brussels sprouts were late entries. Damn, I forgot to list the dressing, just like I forgot to put it in the oven before 6. It was from the Thanksgiving batch.

So when I got home from church, I had good intentions. I made my ice cream base (more about that in another post). I roasted my butternut squash, I brined the chicken. By then, it was nearly dark and what little enthusiasm I had for cooking left with the sunlight. What's a girl to do?

Ta-Daaaaaa! All the flavors of the ravioli without making pasta by hand.


Start with roasted butternut squash. Make sure it's caramelized.


In the meantime, mix heavy cream and mascarpone cheese until smooth. Season with salt, cinnamon, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg. Add sprigs of time and rosemary. Simmer and reduce.


Boil some pasta. Orecchiette is great choice. 


Slosh in some sauce.


Garnish with toasted pecans, rosemary and sage. Delicious!!!


One final note. I have an announcement to make.  I believe in pretty chicken!


I'm going to kick back now and finish my glass of screw-top wine. (I'm running a quality establishment over here.)

Merry Christmas, y'all!

No comments: