Monday, April 21, 2008

The Bird

I eat a lot of chicken. I don't eat red meat or pork, so I get more than my fair share of the bird. When I feel like impressing myself, I roast a whole chicken the old fashioned way. Let's get to it.
space
Start with a brine: salt, sugar, peppercorns, lemon, garlic and rosemary.
I also add aromatics to the roasting pan. (I always toy with the idea of gravy.)

After you're done brining. Pat the chicken dry. Rub it with oil and add aromatics to the cavity.


Here is where the Southern black woman in me departs squarely from the Food Network personalities I love. Season and I mean really season the outside of the bird. Fresh herbs are of no use here; they'll burn. Dried is the way to go. Use plenty of freshly ground black pepper and a slight sprinkling of kosher salt.


Roast breast side down for about 30 minutes. Flip the bird to roast breast side up and continue roasting until done. The juices will run clear.


Tools of the trade:

2 comments:

Stacia said...

I love to read your blog. The chicken looks great, may need a little more detail on brining. I am a friend of Nataki's

NuJoi said...

I've added a link to a previous post about brining for reference. A brine is a salt water solution. I always add sugar and sometimes herbs, spices and citrus.