Monday, April 7, 2008

Seal The Deal

As with the grown and sexy mac and cheese, use your powers for good and not for evil. Break this out on good friends as a thank you or on your man as a thank you (or a promise)! I like chocolate, but I don't go ga-ga over it. This made me a temporary chocolate fool.

As a single woman, I have to barter to get projects done in my house. I have a mirror that needs to be hung and I've proven time and time again that I should not be allowed to hang anything. I don't measure and I have no sense of proportion. What a bad combination. Anyway, I worked out a deal with a coworker -- food for a mirror. He'd seen me flipping through a King Authur catalog and commented on how good their molten cake looked. I took that as a challenge. It was on!!

The challenge was further cemented when a group of us went out and the subject of molten chocolate cakes came up. I told them I didn't get the hype, it was just some uncooked batter. I was skewered and told that restaurants actually inject the cakes with melted chocolate. I realized I was talking to a bunch of people who didn't cook, so I was even more resolved to prove them wrong. I ended up proving them and me wrong. Here's how: Cook's Illustrated's Chocolate Volcano Cakes.

Prep eight ramekins. Butter and dust with sugar.

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Stir until smooth.


Add the chocolate to sugar and cornstarch.

Lightly beat room temperature eggs and yolks. Add them to the chocolate mixture.



Mix until well incorporated.
Fill the ramekins (an ice cream scoop works wonderfully). The can either go straight to the oven or to the refrigerator for up to a day.
Bake on a baking sheet. The top should puff up and then crack. Cool on a wire rack for two minutes. Loosen the cake with a pairing knife, invert and invert again.



Serve with ice cream. This is homemade vanilla, which I'll write about later. Yes, I hate the pic below, but you get the idea. One day I'll be blessed with a digital SLR.

Tools of the trade:

1 comment:

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Oh my gosh. I MUST make these!