Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sunny Side


I am trying to do better about managing my food budget. There are occasions when I forbid myself to go to the store because I have a full pantry and freezer. It was one such weekend when I came up with my artichoke and sun-dried tomato side dish. I think it was especially warm in Chicago that weekend, so this dish was also a tribute to spring sunshine.

Let's get to it. I started with frozen artichoke hearts.
I thawed them and placed them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Next I drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil and sprinkled those on top.

Now time for the oil. I am a firm believer in infused oil. Add whatever flavors you want to cold oil and heat it all together over low heat. Today's mix included fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and dried Italian seasoning. I added kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper too.
Drizzle this over the artichoke hearts and tomato. Reserve a little of the oil to dress the dish at the table. Roast until the veggies take on a little color.


Plate and eat!

Tools of the trade:

No comments: