Saturday, November 8, 2008

Things Fall Apart (Or Never Set Up)

Last Sunday was really a great day for me -- figured out how to get to church using public transportation and made it back to the kitchen to rock a four-course meal. I got tired before I finished cooking, but that's not the point.
space
I was most excited about making lemon bars. Think about it: the house smells like cookies from the crust, you get to nibble on the raw dough and the filling -- lemony heaven! Unfortunately, that was not the case with these.
space
I wanted to do another post in the Buy the Book series, so I chose the lemon bar recipe from the Nordstrom Friends & Family Cookbook. Had I just stopped to think, I would've remembered that I really didn't like the lemon bars at the Nordstrom Cafe. I could've used the recipe in Baking Illustrated instead. Not that the recipe in the Nordstrom book is the same as what's in the store, but I dislike the ones in the store so much that I wouldn't have chanced it (had I been thinking). Yes there is really a combination of butter flour and sugar that I don't like. I know it's shocking.
space
Things started off well enough. The dough for the crust came together just fine. I started by creaming butter and powdered sugar.
space
space
I then added flour.
I ended up with a really soft dough.
space
I got it into the pan and pressed it in as evenly as possible with my fingers.
I moved to the oven. Here is where the problems start. I ended up baking it twice as long as the recipe called for to get the lightly browned color called for. This sent me to Williams-Sonoma later in the week for an oven thermometer. So after 40+ minutes, here's the crust:
space
The crust has to cool completely before you can add the filling. To start the filling, beat some eggs add some sugar and beat until pale and thick.
space
space
Whip out your favorite lemon-working tools. Mine are a Microplane and a citrus press. Use whatever you need to get the juice and the zest.
space
space
Add the lemon stuff to the sugar and eggs. The recipe calls for flour and cornstarch too.
space
space
Pour the filling over the crust and bake until "the filling is set -- firm on the edges, but still a little soft in the middle -- 15 to 20 minutes." Yeah. Not so much.
space
space
But what good sweets-loving girl would let this deter her? Certainly not me. I grabbed a fork a pressed on.
space

Eeewwww, ick and yuck! These were void of big lemon flavor and too sweet for even me. I couldn't finish a whole bar. Well, I couldn't finish the gooey, runny mess that should have been a bar. I have never been so disappointed. However, the taste was the same as those in the restaurant. Silly me.

Tools of the trade:

No comments: