Thursday, December 6, 2007

CON-spiracy

My favorite book is The Alchemist. It’s about listening to your heart and having the courage to pursue your dreams. One of the lessons in the book is that when you are true to your heart and in earnest pursuit of your “personal legend,” the universe will conspire to help you.

I hosted my “Dream Makers” dinner Sunday night. It was a strategy session for my career. The intent was to present what I wanted to do, transition to culinary marketing, and brainstorm with my friends regarding how to make it happen. I approached it as a marketing assignment. I provided research on the product (me) and the target (potential employers). I even wrote a creative brief. The goal was to come out of the session with ideas for my pitch package.

What actually happened was a little different. I now have the initial idea for a new business venture! I’m not sure this will take the place of culinary marketing or if it will be in conjunction with or before I head down a new corporate path.

Because it was a working session, I kept the dinner simple: bread, pasta, cake and a punch. The past was my weeknight standby. The cake was the chocolate cake I’d frozen from Thanksgiving. My focaccia was a disappointment. I used Alton Brown’s recipe which was supposed to be incorrect as printed in the book. I went to the Web and got the recipe correction, but it turned out worse than the original! I’m not above admitting user error, but I liked the version as printed in the book.

Menu


  • Mediterranean Pasta with Chicken
  • Focaccia
  • Chocolate Cake
  • Cranberry-Cider Punch


No comments: