Thursday, May 8, 2008

Smoked Out


I have an indoor smoker. It doesn't see the light of day often, but I am a firm believer in the Alton Brown theory of using everything in your kitchen at least once a year. It justifies the storage space each item takes up. Besides, smoking is a pretty hands off activity. I could work on chores while the chicken brined and while it smoked.

Let's do it. First, brine your chicken. I forgot to take pictures of the brining, but use this post as a reference. After brining, season (no salt please.)

Prepare your smoker. I line everything with foil because I hate the cleanup afterward. Place your wood chips in the bottom. Assemble the rest of the smoker (don't put the lid on.) Turn on your range to medium.

As soon as you see a wisp of smoke, add the chicken and put the lid on the smoker.

You'll have delicious smoked chicken in under 30 minutes! And yes you can use boneless, skinless pieces.

As you've guessed, this is great for rainy days or when you don't feel like fooling around outside for grill flavor.

Tools of the trade:

No comments: