Saturday, July 28, 2007

My first gig


So I'm really late in writing this. A couple of weeks ago one of the co-workers in the supper club asked if I would prepare dinner for her and a friend. I agreed. I was so excited. Someone valued my abilities enough to pay for them. I struggled with the price, only to have her add $50 because she felt I was pricing myself too low. God is so good.

I felt the evening went fine. It would have been perfect if I had a separate dining room. I refused to wake up to a filthy kitchen on Monday morning, so I handled the dishes as they ate. It wasn't the intimate setting I'd hoped to create, but it was still OK.

Menu
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Salad w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette

Spicy Broccolini
Brandied Mushrooms
Spice-Rubbed Salmon
Raspberry Lemon Sorbet

This is my calling. I stressed over having a white-glove clean home for the event, but the cooking was a joy. I even identified the need for a couple of new gadgets. I especially loved setting the table. I am the girl who dreamed about tea parties. I love the opportunity to break out good napkins. If I would only purchase some chargers ...

Hopefully, this is the start of something big. I don't want to work in a restaurant, my legs and feet can't take the standing. I want to be a personal chef on call -- ring me when you have small, special events. My first client is now working on a business plan that will do just that.

Tootles

No comments: