Thursday, August 16, 2007

Challenges

Sunday, I tried to pull out all the stops:
  • Grilled chicken breasts with pesto
  • Sauteed spinach with mushrooms and onion
  • Rosemary focaccia
  • Tiramisu
I was on my feet for five hours (I could never work in a restaurant.) I had mixed results. The chicken was quite easy -- brine, season, grill and smear. In fact, I've come with about 10 different "flavors" of chicken breast using the same preparation method.

The spinach was relatively easy. The hardest part is getting the water out of it. (I used chopped frozen.) I was a little frustrated by the Trader Joe's sliced baby bella mushrooms because they came with a ton of dirt.
The focaccia was too die for! I have to remember to take a picture the next time I make it. I used Alton Brown's recipe in I'm Just Here for More Food. Of course I didn't realize there were recipe errors until after I made it for the first time.

The tiramisu was the disappointment! I followed the Williams-Sonoma recipe -- too much cream. I lost the taste of the marscapone. I also have vowed to layer the dish in a square pan. I love my trifle bowl, but I don't think it keeps tiramisu well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog. I discovered it from a comment you made on the Cook's Illustrated message board. I've read from the beginning and have found several things we have in common. I look forward to reading the rest and keeping up on a regular basis. After reading your comment about how hard it was to drain the spinach I thought I'd pass along my method. Being a gadget maven also, I'm always looking to get more value from my items. I found that my potato ricer does a wonderful job of draining items like crushed pineapple and frozen spinach. I'm not a big of riced potatoes, but it does squeeze all the liquid out of whatever you put in it. I'm a southerner too ... from Alabama.