Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hurricane


This hurricane is so good and so potent my friends have named it crunk juice! One is nice. Two means you shouldn’t drive! I made these by the pitcher for my Mardi Gras gathering and served them with the cheese straws. I even drink them with the desserts. I had some leftover to go with the dirty rice later in the week.

This recipe is from Big Easy Cocktails by Jimmy Bannos and John DeMers. These are the best I've ever had (Yeah. better than Pat O'Briens.) Bannos is the owner of Heaven On Seven here in Chicago. I'm not a fan of his food, but I am a fan of his book. The problem with New Orleans and Southern food outside of New Orleans and the South is that chefs have to adapt it to fit the tastes of their current clientele. I can make the real thing at home.

Hurricane
  • 1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
  • 1 1/4 oz orange juice
  • 1 1/4 oz pineapple juice
  • 1/2 oz grenadine
  • 3/4 oz sour mix
  • 1/2 oz Bacardi Light Rum
  • 1/2 oz Bacardi Limon
  • 1/2 oz Bacardi Select
  • 1/2 oz spiced rum
  • 1/4 oz Bacardi 151 (I always omit this)

Shake with ice. Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.

No comments: