Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This Is Damn Good

There are a few times when I make something so good that I say aloud, "This is damn good." Here is one of those dishes. This is all about building flavor by cooking in layers.

First, add thinly sliced onion to a hot pan (don't let the extra virgin olive oil smoke.) Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. After the onion softens, add garlic. Now, add in thinly sliced mushrooms. Once these have browned, season with salt and pepper. If you season these before browning, the salt will draw out too much moisture and they will sweat instead of brown.
Add in frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. Please do better than I did in breaking it up. I add the sun dried tomatoes last because I don't like their texture when they cook; I just want to heat them through.


Toss this mixture with pesto and pasta and you have some wonderful, flavorful eating.





Tools of the trade:

No comments: