Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lazy Breakfast

Okay. Breakfast rocks! Y'all know I have a love affair with breakfast based on posts about scones, waffles and sausage, beignets, hashed browns, pancakes and fritata. On one of the food sites, someone asked for breakfast recipes for a crowd. I recommended a recipe from Everyday Food, a breakfast strata. I decided to make one this morning. I changed the recipe based on the ingredients I had: turkey bacon, frozen chopped spinach, feta and Parmesan cheese.

Make the custard first: beat the eggs and add the milk. I seasoned the custard with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.


Add cubed bread to a buttered baking dish. One of the reasons this was a lazy breakfast is because I had bread cubes in the freezer. Whenever you have leftover bread, don't throw it out. Freeze it! You now have a base for bread pudding, and strata. You can also make bread crumbs if you need to.
Back to the post at hand. Next, I layered the turkey bacon, spinach and cheese. I finished with a layer of bacon.



Add the custard. Oops! I didn't make enough. I tried to halve the recipe, but I overdid it with the filling.
That's better!

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or up to overnight. Bake at 350 for 90 minutes. The beauty of this is that you can make it night before, leave it in the fridge, get up the next morning, put it in the oven and go back to bed while it bakes. (I didn't sleep; I got on the phone.) Make sure you set the timer!

Look at this!!! Puffy! Golden brown!
I got one word for ya: Wow!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks awesome! i am always on the hunt for a new breakfast recipe. thanks. cant wait to try it!