Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Love My Oven & Tyler Florence!


Tyler Florence is one of my favorite Food Network personalities. With the exception of the association with Applebee's, the man can do no wrong. I was watching Tyler's Ultimate one day and the man roasted broccoli. I love roasting as a cooking method because it intensifies flavor like nothing else. It also makes veggies sweeter.

I've roasted carrots, potatoes and onions before, but broccoli??!! This I would have to try. Since I've tried it, I haven't cooked it any other way. It's really quick and it doesn't require a lot of work. Be forewarned: If you like mushy broccoli, this is not for you! Here goes:

Start with fresh broccoli. This will not work with frozen. Rinse and chop off the crowns. You can also cut it into spears. I'm using just the crowns today.


Grab a foil-lined baking sheet. and place the broccoli on it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss everything together.

Take it to a 400 degree preheated oven. Roast it for 10 minutes. Look at that color!

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and roast for 10 more minutes.

Plate and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. The caramelized pieces are the best.




Tools of the trade:

No comments: