Monday, June 2, 2008

Brick and Mortar

I have professed my love for Tyler Florence before. I am especially grateful for his recipe for brick chicken. Let's get to it. I'm using Cornish hens.

Cut the backbone out of the birds and flatten with your hands.
Toast and grind your spices. Add kosher salt.
Rub your bird down with the spice mixture. I drizzled the birds with olive oil and used the dry rub instead of making a paste with olive oil and lemon juice. I let the chicken air dry in the refrigerator overnight.



Get a screaming hot skillet, or two. Add the bird, skin side down, and a foil wrapped brick. If you don't have a brick, you can used a cast iron skillet.


Sear on moderately high heat for 10-15 minutes and transfer to a 375 degree oven to finish cooking. Keep the brick in place.

Now isn't that lovely?



Now that's some good eating, but we aren't done.


Let's work on the cool yogurt dip. Add cilantro, mint and green onion to the food processor. Take everything for a spin.

Add Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and honey.



Yea! Yogurt dip. It's the little things that make me happy.

Let's put it all together. The pita and roasted eggplant are seasoned with za'atar.

Tools of the trade:

No comments: