Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Almost There


I've raved about the Original Pancake House before. Please find one and try the buckwheat pancakes. They are the best. I was in Whole Foods one day and low and behold, buckwheat flour. I was up to the challenge.
This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. Start with your flours. I used King Arthur's 100% White Wheat instead of the all purpose. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.

Start on the wet ingredients. Break up the egg.



Add the milks and cooled melted butter.


Add the wet to the dry and mix until combined. Don't over mix or else you'll have tough pancakes. It's okay if you see a few lumps.



Lube a nonstick skillet.

I portioned the batter using a 1/4 C dry measuring cup.
Once you see bubbles appear along the edges of the pancakes, they are ready to flip (The ones above needed an additional minute or two.)
Plate and eat! These weren't as good as those at The Original Pancake House, but I'm undaunted. I'm gonna keep trying until I get it right! The mistakes are quite tasty.
Tools of the trade:

No comments: